LPP tackles controversial issues during its 3rd General Assembly
During the 3rd General Assembly (GA) of the League of Provinces of the Philippines (LPP) held on 18 February 2023 and hosted by Gov. Edwin Jubahib and Davao del Norte at Club Samal Resort, Samal Island Garden City, LPP approved and adopted the following:
KUYA GOB DELIVERS, YET AGAIN. It was another award-winning performance. Gov. Edwin Jubahib, fondly known as Kuya Gob in his beloved Davao del Norte, left no stone unturned when he and Davao del Norte hosted the 3rd General Assembly (GA) of the League of Provinces of the Philippines.
• Resolution condemning in strongest terms the violence committed against Gov. Mamintal Alonto Adiong of Lanao del Sur on 17 February 2023, wishing him and those who were hurt fast recovery, and expressing heartfelt condolences to those who were left by the four (4) security staff who died during the ambush.
LPP General Assembly, through LPP National President, South Cotabato Governor Jun Tamayo, approves a Resolution condemning in strongest terms the violence committed against Gov. Mamintal Alonto Adiong of Lanao del Sur on 17 February 2023 ambushed.
• Urging the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to fully investigate the ambush of the convoy of Gov. Mamintal Alonto Adiong at 4:00p.m. on 17 February 2023 by unidentified gunmen, and to expedite their investigation to make those responsible for the dastard act be made accountable the soonest time.
• Expressing strong support and appreciation to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), led by its National Statistician and Civil Registrar General, Undersecretary Dennis S. Mapa, for initiating the conduct of local-level statistics and other related activities.
• Urging Congress to increase the allocation for Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) for the conduct of Community-Based Monitoring System (CBMS) survey for all local government units regardless of class.
• Urging the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to transfer or involve the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in managing the Government Support Fund (LGSF) to support LGUs.
TRUE SUPPORT FOR LGUs: The League of Provinces of the Philippines once more amplified its call to the Department of Budget and Management to ensure that the Local Government Support Fund allocated yearly in the annual national budget is managed accordingly to be truly reflective of its intent to be an augmentation fund to support LGUs. Members of the League unanimously supported the proposal of its National Chairperson and Quirino Gov. Dax Cua to strengthen the role of the DILG in determining the LGUs to receive a portion of the LGSF. Among his proposals was to make the fund a part of the incentives for passers of the Seal of Good Local Governance to support delivery of basic services. Davao del Norte Gov. Edwin I. Jubahib also noted that in the case of provinces, the LGSF they receive from the national government is being used to provide for the request of support from their component LGUs.
• Elevating to DILG Sec. Benhur Abalos, Jr. for his consideration and appropriate action LPP’s Position that Provincial Governments need not secure Mayor’s Permit in holding sports events or similar activities.
• Setting the General Assembly of the League of Provinces of the Philippines once every two (2) months.
• Earnestly requesting His Excellency President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr., the Commission on Election (COMELEC), the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), and other appropriate agencies to consider the engagement of security personnel from the uniformed personnel or officers of the Philippine National Police (PNP), the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and other law enforcement agencies of the government for incumbent public officers seeking public office during election period.
MOBILIZATION OF UNIFORMED PERSONNEL DURING ELECTIONS. The League of Provinces of the Philippines expressed unanimous support to the proposal of Misamis Occidental Gov. Peter Unabia requesting President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr., the COMELEC, and the DILG, among others to consider allowing uniformed personnel or officers from PNP, the AFP, and other government law enforcement agencies to be assigned as security escorts to incumbent public officers seeking public office during the election period. This was formalized in a resolution approved during its 3rd General Assembly hosted by Davao del Norte Gov. Edwin I. Jubahib held at Club Samal Resort in the Island Garden City of Samal on 18 February 2023.
• Urging Congress to enact into law the proposed bill institutionalizing the Conditional Matching Grant for Road and Bridges Repair, Rehabilitation, And Improvement (CMGP).
• Endorsing Gov. Hermilando “Dodo” Mandanas as representative of the League of Provinces of the Philippines (LPP) for consideration and appointment by President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. to be a member of the Board of Directors of the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) representing the elected local chief executives.
PHILHEALTH BOARD LGU REPRESENTATIVE. The League of Provinces of the Philippines, during its 3rd General Assembly formalized, through a resolution, its endorsement and appointment of Batangas Gov. Hermilando I. Mandanas to the Philhealth Board representing the Local Government Units, pursuant to R.A. 7875 as amended by R.A. 10606 , creating the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth). The League gathered on 18 February 2023 at the Club Samal Resort in the Island Garden City of Samal, hosted by Davao del Norte Gov. Edwin I. Jubahib to discuss various issues currently affecting the provinces.
The GA took a dramatic turn when Gov. Lyndon Barbers of Surigao del Norte sought the support of the governors regarding a controversy involving his own province and its Municipality of Gen. Luna. The Province of Surigao del Norte was supposed to sponsor a national surfing competition but the said municipality insisted that he cannot hold the event without a Mayor’s Permit.
Surigao del Norte Governor Lyndon Barbers sought the support of LPP regarding the controversy involving his province and the Municipality of Gen. Luna requiring Mayor’s permit before holding a provincial-sponsored National Surfing Competition.
In response, the LPP declared its full support to Gov. Lyndon Barbers and adopted a resolution to bring up the matter to Sec. Abalos.
Before the GA was adjourned, the governors reiterated its endorsement of Cavite Board Member Ram Revilla as President of the Provincial Board Members League of the Philippines (PBMLP) and his entire slate running for different positions.